[Samba] Add domain defauts to WORKGROUP if not specified

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Mar 10 17:17:54 UTC 2016

On 10/03/16 16:37, Tompkins, Michael wrote:
> We currently are running smbclient 4.0.7. Users need to add domain name or "\" before username for authentication to succeed. Otherwise, smbclient prepends WORKGROUP\ to username.
>
> In a particular environment, "WORKGROUP\username" does not have access to the user's home directory.
>
> If we add "workgroup =" parameter in smb.conf file, it now passes. Is it valid to always to specify a "" workgroup value in the config file ? Does that have other concequences ?
>
> Mike

If you don't add the 'workgroup =' line to smb.conf, then Samba users
the default, which is 'workgroup = WORKGROUP'. You can test this by
commenting out the workgroup line in smb.conf (if it is there) and then
running 'testparm -v', this will show all the default options as well as
the ones you have added.

Rowland