[Samba] Unable to transfer ForestDns/DomainDNS

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jun 23 20:11:42 UTC 2016

On 23/06/16 21:03, Jason Waters wrote:
> Which a quick way of doing that would be for me to cp the
> /var/lib/samba directory when samba is not running, right?  And my
> /etc/samba/ folder?
>
> Since I have the distribution package it isn't all in /usr/local/samba
> anymore.

Yes, it is easier to backup a self compiled Samba, isn't it :-)

Backup anything that ends in .tdb or .ldb, sysvol if you have added any
GPOs or scripts etc, and finally smb.conf. I would do this whilst Samba
is stopped.

> What is the official way to move from windows 2003 server to samba?  I
> was thinking it was this:
>
> transfer the roles
> dcpromo on the windows box
> get a beer because you have one less windows server?

I don't think there is an official way, but yours sounds good,
especially the last step :-D

Rowland