[Samba] Rights issue on GPO

Achim Gottinger achim at ag-web.biz
Tue Jun 21 09:26:52 UTC 2016

Am 21.06.2016 um 10:41 schrieb lists:
> Hi Achim,
>
> On 21-6-2016 0:01, Achim Gottinger wrote:
>> Hi MJ and Rowland,
>>
>> I did abit of testing last week (two debian jesie servers with sernet
>> 4.2 samba packages). Seems when rsync is run against rsyncd or involved
>> via xinet as it is described in the wiki the user and group mapping does
>> not work and uid and gid numbers are used. If I used rsync via ssh the
>> mapping works and there is no need for idmap.ldb to be in sync.
>>
>> achim~
>
> I have read your earlier message in this thread, yes.
>
> Just to make sure I understand you correctly:
>
> You are observing that rsync as a client against rsyncd DOES copy the
> acls, but not by name, but by using nummerical values instead?
>
> (like it's configured with with --numeric-ids, on the daemon or on the
> client?)
>
> If I understand things correctly, that would contradict almost all
> documentation I can find on rsync / permissions and (extended) acls??
>
> MJ

Exactly, rsync should map user and group names if the demon on the
destination runs as root. But this does not work. I tested it with an
group named test with gid 1000 on server #1 and gid 1001 on server #2.
It works if rsync is used via ssh like this
rsync -vv -XAavz -e ssh root at server2:/var/lib/samba/private/sysvol/
/var/lib/samba/private/sysvol/
Seems to be an issue with rsync causing trouble with sysvols.

achim~