[Samba] Samba 4.4.5 segmentation fault on Darwin

Sun Jul 31 22:31:56 UTC 2016

> On Jul 31, 2016, at 4:10 AM, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 2016-07-30 at 17:13 -0500, Michael A Weber wrote:
>> First:  Long-time samba user (since 2004), and my first reach-out to
>> everyone, so thank you for the great work!
>>
>> New issue:  Both joining an AD domain and smbd fail with a
>> segmentation fault on the Mac.  I’ve tried to debug it the best I can
>> but I’m not a C developer and can’t figure out what is the cause.
>>
>> For smbd, I have the log errors and the stack trace from it which I
>> hope will provide some clues.  For net ads join, I have it on full
>> debug (-d 10), but the only thing I get is the segmentation fault at
>> the end.  If there is a log file which may have more of a clue, I
>> don’t know where to find it, but I’ll be happy to get any information
>> out of it that I can.
>>
>> I know…  I hear the groans already.  “Mac OS X????”  Yep…  I
>> know.  Sadly, I need to configure a Mac OS X machine as a member
>> server to an AD domain.  I know…  YUCK.  However, it’s something I
>> must do.
>
> :-)
>
> I'm glad to hear it is compiling these days.  For the longest time
> there were bugs complaining that we didn't even compile.

Well, maybe I should have stated or clarified that I made small modifications to the code to remedy the bugs per suggested patches I found.  Oops??  :D

>> I’m going to attempt to provide information that may help to identify
>> the problem, but if there is anything else needed, I’ll do what I can
>> to get it.  Please just let me know.
>
> If you are not printing, try setting:
>
> disable spoolss = yes.
>
> That might work around it.  To get us the info we need getting a gdb
> backtrace from the crashing process or the resulting core would be very
> helpful.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew Bartlett
>
> --
> Andrew Bartlett                       http://samba.org/~abartlet/
> Authentication Developer, Samba Team  http://samba.org
> Samba Developer, Catalyst IT          http://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

I’ll do my best to get this to you.  I’m sure the dump would be the most helpful, so I’m going to see what I can do.  For the time being, I’m going to investigate and test what Kevin Davidson suggested previously and if that fails or isn’t as good as I would like, maybe we will have some headway for a working Samba install on Mac OS X in the future.

Thanks!

Mike