[Samba] Samba 4.4.5 segmentation fault on Darwin

Kevin Davidson kevin at indigospring.co.uk
Sun Jul 31 00:22:07 UTC 2016

> I know…  I hear the groans already.  “Mac OS X????”  Yep…  I know.  Sadly, I need to configure a Mac OS X machine as a member server to an AD domain.  I know…  YUCK.  However, it’s something I must do.

Is there a reason for attempting to do this with Samba, rather than the built in support for SMB 2.0 and Active Directory?

Either add an Active Directory Network Account Server in the Users & Groups System Preference, using the domain controller and an admin account, or use dsconfigad to do it from the command line. Set the search paths appropriately for authentication and contacts if you also need access to an Open Directory domain.

Then turn on file sharing in the Server app and set up your shares, ACLs etc.

If there's a specific requirement for Samba it might be helpful to know what that is.

> [2016/07/29 16:10:00.173382,  0] ../source3/lib/dumpcore.c:303(dump_core)
>  dumping core in /usr/local/samba/var/cores/smbd
>
> *****************************************************************************************************************************************************
>
> (It says at the end that it’s core dumping to that location, but there is nothing in there.)

Try ulimit -c unlimited before you test. Core dump size is limited to 0 by default.

Sent from my iPad

--
Kevin Davidson
Apple Certified System Administrator

t 01506 668674
m 07813 149620
w www.indigospring.co.uk

indigospring (Scotland) Ltd
Registered in Scotland No. SC398572
Registered office: 103 Oldwood Place, Livingston, EH54 6US

Follow us on Twitter - twitter.com/indigospringIT
Members of the Apple Consultants Network - consultants.apple.com/uk

www.indigospring.co.uk/terms-and-conditions