[Samba] Fwd: Good installation documentation on samba4?

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Jul 29 20:25:12 UTC 2016

On 29/07/16 20:50, Léon van der Kaap wrote:
> I figured out the resolv.conf bit fidgeting around. Thanks for the tip
> anyway.
>
> Regarding the krb5.conf I have never got it working with the example
> files. I have always added at least a "kdc = samdom.example.com
> <http://samdom.example.com>" to the lines, but my file is actually
> still a bit more complex(and possibly redundant).

If you have to add that line to krb5.conf on a DC, then I think you are
doing something wrong, because, to be honest, it only really needs to be:

[libdefaults]
     default_realm = SAMDOM.EXAMPLE.COM

The other two lines are defaults.

What OS did you try it on ?

> Regarding the troubleshooting page, it is /far/ from complete. At the
> very least, the documentation should at a check for a succesful
> 'kinit' command to see if the system is going to work.

It doesn't have to be on the troubleshooting page, because it is on the
DC howto page, did you somehow miss this ?

> Maybe I sound a bit angry, but I severely dislike documentation that
> leaves you with an unfinished installation. Compare the monstrously
> sized Samba 3.5 with Samba 4 kind of illustrates the point that not
> all bases are covered which is a shame to me.

I am sure that if you follow the Samba wiki page you will end up with a
basic DC, but if it doesn't work for you, just what do you feel is
missing ? as I said, if we don't know what is wrong, how can we fix it ?

I also don't understand what you mean by 'Compare the monstrously sized
Samba 3.5 with Samba 4', just what are you trying to compare ?

Rowland