[Samba] Fwd: Good installation documentation on samba4?

Data Control Systems - Mike Elkevizth mike at datacontrolsystems.com
Fri Jul 29 20:48:41 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 4:28 PM, Léon van der Kaap <leonkaap at gmail.com>
wrote:

> >The standard four line krb5.conf that is generated during provisioning
> and listed on the wiki page about setting up an AD >DC works fine for me.
>
> And that's great, but it has never worked for me and it is very
> demoralizing to follow the instructions and not get a result.
>

>> Regarding the troubleshooting page, it is *far* from complete. At the very
>> least, the documentation should at a check for a succesful 'kinit' command
>> to see if the system is going to work.
>>

> >Once again, these steps are listed on the main wiki page about creating
> an AD DC.  https://wiki.samba.org/index.
> <https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_Active_Directory_Domain_Controller#Testing_Kerberos>
> > php/Setup_a_Samba_Active_Directory_Domain_Controller#Testing_Kerberos
> <https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_Active_Directory_Domain_Controller#Testing_Kerberos>
>
> I misspoke on that one. Indeed, the information is there but when I tried
> it I was greeted with a washlist of errors and no idea how to solve it. At
> that point I was out of luck(and I was not the only one as I have found
> others on the internet with the same issue).
>

>> Maybe I sound a bit angry, but I severely dislike documentation that
>> leaves
>> you with an unfinished installation. Compare the monstrously sized Samba
>> 3.5 with Samba 4 kind of illustrates the point that not all bases are
>> covered which is a shame to me.
>>

> > I setup my Samba Active Directory Domain with multiple DCs at multiple
> remote sites connected via VPN with both
> > Linux and Windows clients using the documentation and found it quite
> complete and clear.
>
> And that's great assuming it works that is. Yet, if following the
> instructions actually worked, I wouldn't be here posting my frustrations.

My setup is working great, and my point is that I obtained my setup by
following my interpretation of the existing wiki (actually, I thinks it's
been improved upon since I used it for my setup).  If you're having
trouble, maybe you are interpreting things differently than I did.  I think
I interpreted things as the writers of the wiki intended, since I obtained
the desired results.  Perhaps it would be better if you post your smb.conf,
the Samba packages you're using, and the steps you took to set it up.  That
way someone can help you get it working and if we can see what the problem
is, then the wiki can be "fixed" so someone else doesn't run into the same
issue.

Mike E.