[Samba] Fwd: Good installation documentation on samba4?

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Jul 29 11:10:01 UTC 2016

On 29/07/16 11:47, Jim Seymour wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jul 2016 22:55:55 +0200
> Léon van der Kaap <leonkaap at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am looking for good installation instructions for an active
>> directory domain controller installation of samba4. The only source I
>> have reliably found is
>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_Active_Directory_Domain_Controller
>> which is unfortunately both incomplete in certain sections and
>> incorrect in others.
> [snip]
>
> Unfortunately, that's it :(
>
> I noted the same issues a year ago, when I tried to get Samba AD
> working for us.  I was invited to help improve the docs.  I like
> writing docs, and probably would have, except we weren't able to get
> Samba working as an AD the way we needed it to, so I dropped the
> project.
>
> Your only hope, beyond that, is this mailing list.  The regulars here
> are very helpful and very patient, to which I can attest :)
>
> DO NOT be tempted to go searching for help elsewhere on the 'net.  Much
> of what you'll find will be wildly inaccurate and will only lead you to
> grief.  Ask me how I know ;)
>
> Good luck,
> Jim

OK, I have had another look at the Samba wikipage and apart from it only
describing how to do an interactive provision and not showing the
example /etc/krb5.conf, I cannot see anything  really wrong with it.

So if you have problems with the page, speak up now and I will attempt
to address your problems.

After all, if we do not know there is a problem, how can we fix it.

Rowland