[Samba] Heimdal Kerberos in Samba4

Stefan Schäfer ml at fsproductions.de
Fri Jul 22 12:54:05 UTC 2016

Hi List,

I do my best to ask my question in english. ;-)

Samba4 integrated heimdal kerberos to do the kerberos work for Active
Directory. Some Linux Distributions like fedora/RedHat and openSUSE/SUSE
don't accept heimdal even if it is shipped inside samba.

Their argument is that heimdal isn't maintained since 2012. Compiling
samba against MIT krb5 results in Samba-Packages without AD.

Result: Active Directory is impossible with the Disitribution packages
of samba.with the above mentioned Linux distributions.

Fedoras way to solve this is:

"We are intending to make possible use of AD DC functionality with MIT
Kerberos but this is longer term project that requires cooperation
between Samba, MIT, and FreeIPA."
which means never, in my opinion."

My questions:

Is the heimdal code inside of samba4 maintained by the samba team or is
this unmaintained static code?

Are there considerations about using MIT krb5 inside samba4 instead of
heimdal?

The intention of our project "invis-server" is to bring samba 4 with AD
DC functionality into openSUSE. Therefor we need arguments for the
coming discussion.

Stefan

--
www.invis-server.org