[Samba] truecrypt on synology as subfolder

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Mon Jul 4 02:00:50 UTC 2016

Reindl Harald schreef op 02-07-2016 17:34:
> Am 02.07.2016 um 17:24 schrieb Xen:
>> Reindl Harald schreef op 02-07-2016 17:07:
>>> that's hardly something which can be changed in the application layer
>>> and you have similar problems when write large data to a slow
>>> block-device connected with USB
>>
>> So do you have any info on whether someone else could fix it? I mean,
>> there must be kernel people that know about it right. Is there a way
>> file the issue with some bug tracker or something? Somewhere people
>> will
>> notice?
>
> kernel
>
> people are surely aware but it's not all that easy to fix as it
> appears to be - example: https://lwn.net/Articles/572911/

I will bet my favourite hat and all the money in the world that the
thing would actually be quite easy to fix if people actually implemented
something sane such as per-device (dirty) cache buffers.

It seems there is a system-wide cache that doesn't take account of
anything and is just one big pool.

And it seems the problem is not getting solved because no one can agree
on a solution, not because it would be hard to do so. As several people
in the thread have said: "perfect is the enemy of good".

I mean this is just ridiculous. That is like not being able to come up
with a solution to having a light circuit with 2 switches. Or any kind
of engineering problem that has long since been solved. The appearance
seems to be that people prefer systems totally locking up, over some
design decision that might cause USB disks to see a 10% drop in
performance.

I was running a system off USB 2 stick. Although the system boots up in
a reasonable time, many IO operations block incessantly for no apparent
reason at all. How the system is capable of booting up, and of being
installed, on that stick, without much issue, but saving a file in
LibreOffice (not even on the stick itself) causes the system to hang for
20 seconds!!!!?.

You really slam your head in despair. Completely incomprehensible how a
system can operate like that.

But right now the situation is different. It appears to have nothing to
do with IO queues, in that sense.