[Samba] desperate IO blocking

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Mon Jul 4 02:17:59 UTC 2016

I mentioned that when I had mounted TrueCrypt server-side on some
subdirectory of a Samba share, my local system (client) would see the
mount point "lock up".

Today it happened again, I don't know why. I had been toying with LUKS
(on the server) but after a reboot (of the server) the thing was not
even mounted and also not mounted client-side.

Please see this paste:

http://pastebin.com/bnKpmXXv

It contains a call trace for "gvfsd-recent" and several "task pool"s. I
know that "lookup_fast" is the function that either gets something from
the dentry cache, or otherwise tries to ask the actual filesystem (or
was this lookup_slow?) -- but apart from that I don't know what it says.

Someone with enough knowledge should be able to see what goes on.

Processes waiting for that IO will enter a "D" state in the "ps"
overview. D means "uninterruptable sleep". The program "Kate" locked up
first, that I noticed. I could no longer start Kate. Later, every access
for the mount point (or the root directory) caused the lockup.

These mount points are in "/nas". Meaning, I have a "/nas/home" a
"/nas/media" and a "nas/backup". Every other root directory still works
fine (ie., var, home, usr, sbin, proc, sys, etc, ....) but the moment I
try to read "/nas" the process hangs.

It is clear the hang centers around "schedule_preempt_disabled" and
"schedule" after doing "mutex_lock" and "__mutex_lock_slowpath" after
doing a bunch of CIFS stuff.

I don't know enough about the VFS and scheduling to know what this
means, but what is the issue here exactly?

This is not just some IO choke like Reindl Harald mentioned. This is a
deadlock.