[Samba] Authentication to Secondary Domain Controller initially fails when PDC is offline

Ole Traupe ole.traupe at tu-berlin.de
Thu Jan 7 11:00:07 UTC 2016

Guys, as much as I like troubleshooting (I admit it), we all have
already spent way too much time on this. I strongly feel we should wrap
it up here. This issue either is due to my faulty configuration, or
there is a general problem with the internal DNS of Samba (seems to me;
also Rowland's interpretation, if I am right).

So, as I already created a problem in my DNS (an invisible faulty record
I cannot delete anymore), I would like to take this opportunity of a
clean (DNS) slate by switching to bind9 - maybe with your help, Rowland?
Ideally without starting completely from scratch.

In addition, I recommend updating the wiki like this:
- Currently it seems that with Samba's internal DNS fail-over safety
cannot reliably be achieved.
- Therefore it is strongly suggested to use bind9 in any setup that is
intended to go in production sooner or later.
- At the moment, Samba's internal DNS must be seen as a quick and
convenient solution for *testing* purposes only.

Ole