[Samba] Samba 4 AD - Samba Fails to Start, hdb_samba4_create_kdc (setup KDC database) failed

JS it at cliffbells.com
Sun Jan 3 11:44:52 UTC 2016

Rowland penny <rpenny <at> samba.org> writes:

> This has, I believe, been done, but not by me, so I am unsure just what
> you need to backup and more importantly, where you need to the various
> backup files. What to backup is fairly easy, Ubuntu uses two locations,
> /var/lib/samba and /var/cache/samba, just backup everything in these two
> locations that end in .ldb & .tdb using tdbbackup. If you self compile
> samba, everything goes into /usr/local/samba and you would need to put
> the files you backed up into the required places, if it would help, I
> can provide a directory listing for /usr/loca/samba.

So, samba_backup contains the following variables:

FROMWHERE=/usr/local/samba
WHERE=/usr/local/backups
DAYS=90

which are condigured to work with Samba compiled from source.

Ubuntu utilizes /var/lib/samba and /var/cache/samba, does samba_backup's
FROMWHERE variable support multiple directories, or would I have to modify
the script to handle two source targets?  The latter option here is a bit
out of my scope...

> Got to be honest here, from what you have posted so far, I get the
> feeling your Samba database is badly corrupted and you will have to
> start again. It should be possible to upgrade if your database is ok,
> but I would do it first on a test machine.

I understand and agree completely that this domain in particular is likely
beyond repair and will need to be reprovisioned, and that uninstalling the
current version of Samba and compiling from source prior to doing so is my
best course of action.  This question was in relation to other PDCs I have
deployed elsewhere, after chatting with you here on the list it seems
modifying those clients would be in my best interest, I'm just not sure how
to go about executing the upgrade.

Regards,

JS