[Samba] Need Samba4 to resolve DNS request of another network

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Feb 26 11:55:58 UTC 2016

Am 26.02.2016 um 12:44 schrieb Jules Houantonon:
> i am working  to deploy Samba4 on our main and  remote sites.
>
> Each DCs are seperate by a router. So they only have one network interface
> card.
>
> Samba 4 on remote site should join existing Active Directory domain that is
> implemented on the main site.
> As we do not belong to the same network, i am  having dns request trouble
> while i will try to join to the Domain

i would recommend a VPN tunnel between the machines / networks

with openvpn and "client-to-client" on a tap-based (bridged) setup you
can even connect different networks with working broadcasts

we currently run 5 openvpn-server instances, for each external office a
seperate one and with iptables forwarding-rules on each "client" which
is in fact the central server for each office every machine can talk
with each other including avahi-zeroconf which is multicast/broadcast

between routed networks there is *no* broadcasting possible