[Samba] Change machine name without a reboot?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Feb 24 13:27:16 UTC 2016

Am 24.02.2016 um 14:16 schrieb mathias dufresne:
> Systemd service files are generally coming with packages. This means these
> files can be overwritten by some system update if this updates also your
> Samba packages (note: I never had nor tested that behaviour with Samba
> packages, but it happens for other packages).

what you are saying only is true fpr sysvinit-scripts but not for
systemd-units when you have some clue what you are doing

that's why you place your own systemd units below /etc/systemd/system/
with the same name or use dropins

* disable service with "systemctl disable smb.service"
* place your modified copy at /etc/systemd/system/smb.service
* enable service with "systemctl enable smb.service"
* voila the symlink points to your unit and no longer
   to /usr/lib/systemd/system/smb.service

https://coreos.com/os/docs/latest/using-systemd-drop-in-units.html