[Samba] Creating static WINS entries in Samba 4

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed Feb 24 09:18:27 UTC 2016

> So here is the question: how does one create static WINS entries using the
> "net" utility???

I suggest not, normaly dns is used for that, by the setting
"dns proxy = yes"  ( the default )
But you must be sure your dns setup is good.

>From man smb.conf
dns proxy (G)

Specifies that nmbd(8) when acting as a WINS server and finding that a
NetBIOS name has not been registered, should treat the NetBIOS name word-
for-word as a DNS name and do a lookup with the DNS server for that name on
behalf of the name-querying client.

Note that the maximum length for a NetBIOS name is 15 characters, so the DNS name (or DNS alias) can likewise only be 15 characters, maximum.

nmbd spawns a second copy of itself to do the DNS name lookup requests, as
doing a name lookup is a blocking action.

>>  Default: dns proxy = yes
'

You can increase the WINS TTL if needed.
But normaly this is not needed.

Anyway, what im missing here, is, is this a ADDC or member server setup.
And which node type is set for the computers.

Often in dhcp is type H used. (hybrid) which tells the computer to do the NAME => Ip resolving by asking  WINS first and then broadcast.

And remember, of needed to flush the local (PC) NetBios cache.
Check with nbtstat -c to see if its all correct.
nbtstat -R ( or nbtstat -RR ) to flush local cashe.

And editing tdb files ..
tdbtool --help

Greetz,

Louis