[Samba] Restoring single DC virtual machine

Yvan Masson yvan.masson at openmailbox.org
Tue Feb 23 15:00:59 UTC 2016

Le dimanche 21 février 2016 à 20:31 +0100, Marc Muehlfeld a écrit :
> Hello Yvan,
>
> Am 19.02.2016 um 11:01 schrieb yvan.masson at openmailbox.org:
> > I plan to install one Samba4 DC on a virtual machine to provide
> > services
> > for
> > less than 50 users:
> >  - centralized authentication on 2 or 3 Linux servers
> >  - LDAP authentication on an ownCloud server
> >  - I do not think that I will join Windows computers to the domain,
> > but
> > maybe
> > one day.
>

> You'r AD is just an LDAP backend for users/authentication?
>
> If you're having no clients (machine pw changes in the meantime) in
> that
> domain and only one DC (replication issues), it should be fine when
> restoring a snapshot. The only thing that could happen is, that users
> may had changed their pw in the meantime.
>
> Regards,
> Marc

Thanks for your answers.

Indeed, the purpose of this DC is a LDAP to authenticate a few users
against: compared to other available solutions (OpenLDAP, 389DS or
FreeIPA), samba seems to be the best choice.

The fact that snapshots are sufficient for backup confirms that Samba
as a DC can be simple to use and administer.

Regards,
Yvan