[Samba] simple recommendations

Thomas Maerz tmaerz at brewerscience.com
Thu Feb 18 21:55:15 UTC 2016

Well, in my opinion, setting up a S4 DC is relatively easy. I’ve actually had more troubles setting up member servers. It’s already integrated with the file server, and you can manage it with the MS tools and manage file permissions from the same place. If he already has an LDAP server (I’ll bet he doesn’t), what you are describing would also make sense. Otherwise he has to set up an OpenLDAP server which requires more expertise than setting up a S4 AD DC in my opinion. Either solution is much more simple, scalable and maintainable than attempting to add a bunch of users manually to each of his workstations.

Provisioning a Samba4 domain controller:

Install S4 DC packages
execute this command
samba-tool domain provision --use-rfc2307 --interactive
Follow the prompts
Test the DC
Install Active Directory Users and Computers plugin on any workstation
Create users
Create file share

Documentation is here: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_Active_Directory_Domain_Controller#Provisioning_the_Samba_Active_Directory <https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_Active_Directory_Domain_Controller#Provisioning_the_Samba_Active_Directory>

Samba4’s DC functionality is great!

Thomas Maerz
Network/Systems Engineer