[Samba] Password changes and syncing passwords with Linux accounts

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Feb 16 16:01:07 UTC 2016

On 16/02/16 15:32, Chris Hastie wrote:
> On 16/02/2016 14:55, Rowland penny wrote:
>> This is strange, just logging in shouldn't create a user in AD and when
>> you see MYDOMAIN\chris this is just winbind i.e.
>>
>> How are you logging into the DC that causes the creation of a user in
>> AD ?
>  From another machine, in an Ubuntu terminal
>
> ssh chris at dc.domain
>
> No keys, just typing the password when prompted. The only odd thing is
> that I'm doing it from root, just to avoid ssh using a key if I do it
> from my own account, since this whole saga started with passwords.

This shouldn't do anything to AD, in fact if the user didn't exist, you
should get access denied.

Do you have the ldb-tools package installed on the DC ? if not can you
install it, then run this command:

  ldbsearch -H /var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb
'(&(objectclass=user)(samaccountname=*))' | grep chris

Can you post the results.

Rowland