[Samba] Password changes and syncing passwords with Linux accounts

Chris Hastie lists at oak-wood.co.uk
Tue Feb 16 09:21:06 UTC 2016

On 16/02/16 08:38, Rowland penny wrote:
> You are not going to like this, but I am going to say it anyway:
>
> *Remove* any users that are in AD from /etc/passwd (the same goes for
> groups)
>
> All your users & groups should now only exist in AD, you do not need
> or can have, users & groups in AD *and* /etc/passwd & /etc/group.
>
> Your users will only have one password and this will be stored in AD
> in a hidden attribute.

You're right. I don't like it. I don't like it because it leaves things
even more broken than before. Specifically, I can no longer log into the
linux at all. And some, but not all Samba based functionality is lost,
though I didn't leave it like that long enough to work out exactly what.
wbinfo -a someuser%somepassword succeeded, I could browse from a Linux
machine with cifs, but some ownCloud external storage using smb failed.

Presumably if I remove users from /etc/passwd then there is something
else I need to do to get linux logins to work again?

Cheers

Chris