[Samba] Password changes and syncing passwords with Linux accounts

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Feb 16 08:38:25 UTC 2016

On 16/02/16 07:47, Chris Hastie wrote:
> Hi  > > I'm experiencing some odd behaviour when trying to change
passwords. > I have Samba 4.1.6-Ubuntu configured as an AD-DC on Ubuntu
14.04LTS. > When I change a password (either from a Win10 Pro client, or
using > smbpasswd on the machine itself) it all reports that things have
 > worked. I can then login to Samba using the new password. > >
However, when I now try to login to Linux using the new password I > get
this error on the terminal: > > Failed to add entry for user
MYDOMAIN\someuser. > > In /var/log/auth.log I see > > Feb 16 07:18:20
oak sshd[12723]: pam_unix(sshd:auth): authentication > failure; logname=
uid=0 euid=0 tty=ssh ruser= > rhost=cranesbill.thegrove.oak-wood.co.uk
user=someuser Feb 16 > 07:18:20 oak sshd[12723]: pam_winbind(sshd:auth):
getting password > (0x00000388) Feb 16 07:18:20 oak sshd[12723]:
pam_winbind(sshd:auth): > pam_get_item returned a password Feb 16
07:18:20 oak sshd[12723]: > pam_winbind(sshd:auth): user 'someuser'
granted access Feb 16 > 07:18:20 oak sshd[12723]:
pam_unix(sshd:account): could not identify > user (from
getpwnam(MYDOMAIN\someuser)) Feb 16 07:18:20 oak > sshd[12723]: Failed
password for someuser from 192.168.37.119 port > 53822 ssh2 Feb 16
07:18:20 oak sshd[12723]: fatal: Access denied for > user someuser by
PAM account configuration [preauth] > > Now when I try the old password
for a Linux login it works. BUT, in > doing so it seems to reset the
Samba password back to the old one. > > What it looks to me is
happening, though I know little about PAM and > auth mechanisms, is > >
* the samba password is successfully changed * no attempt is made, or >
if it is it isn't successful, to change the password in /etc/passwd > or
/etc/shadow * PAM, having checked /etc/shadow and not found a > match,
checks winbind * winbind approves the login, but somewhere > along the
line prepends MYDOMAIN\ to the user name * there is no user >
MYDOMAIN\someuser in /etc/passwd, so the login fails * a subsequent >
successful Linux login causes something to update Samba, perhaps this >
line in /etc/pam.d/common-auth: > > auth    optional
pam_smbpass.so migrate > > I have tried various combinations of 'unix
password sync', 'passwd > program', 'passwd chat' and 'pam password
change' in smb.conf in an > attempt to get /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow
updated when a password is > changed. I've also experimented with
'winbind use default domain = > yes' to see if this stopped the
prepending of MYDOMAIN\. All to no > avail, and I'm not clear that any
of these options has an effect when > running as an AD-DC. > > I should
add that as this installation was migrated from an NT PDC > all users
have unix accounts on the Linux machine. I would ideally > like to keep
the passwords in sync, and to be able to do so using > Windows tools
such as Ctl+Alt+Del. It does seem as if changing > passwords on the
Linux box using passwd will change both Linux and > Samba passwords. > >
Can anybody point me in the right direction? > > Cheers > > Chris >

OK, you say this:

I have Samba 4.1.6-Ubuntu configured as an AD-DC on Ubuntu 14.04LTS.

Then you say this:

I should add that as this installation was migrated from an NT PDC

Finally you say this:

all users have unix accounts on the Linux machine.

You are not going to like this, but I am going to say it anyway:

*Remove* any users that are in AD from /etc/passwd (the same goes for
groups)

All your users & groups should now only exist in AD, you do not need or
can have, users & groups in AD *and* /etc/passwd & /etc/group.

Your users will only have one password and this will be stored in AD in
a hidden attribute.

Rowland