[Samba] ldbadd issue on Samba 4.1.13 AD DC

Allen Chen achen at harbourfrontcentre.com
Thu Feb 11 14:53:23 UTC 2016

On 2/10/2016 4:39 PM, Rowland penny wrote:
> On 10/02/16 20:58, Allen Chen wrote:

>>> Two things spring to mind, first, why would you want to delete a
>>> user and then recreate it again.
>>> Secondly, the users SID comes in two parts, the SID (this is used
>>> for for all domain objects) and a RID, this RID comes from a pool
>>> and this may be your problem.
>>>
>>> Can we see the ldif you used (suitably sanitized).
>>>
>>> Rowland
>>>
>> Hi Rowland,
>> I just want to try these two command: ldbdel and ldbadd.
>> If ldbadd cannot add a previous existed account, then what's the
>> point of ldbadd?
>
> The point of ldbadd is to add an ldif to AD, the only problem is that
> you are trying to add a user back that you have deleted. You can do
> this but not as you are trying to do and, as far as windows is
> concerned, your user will not be the same user.
>
> This ldif will probably work:
>
> dn: CN=krtu,CN=Users,DC=mydomain,DC=com
> cn: krtu
> sn: Allen
> givenName: Wan
> displayName: Allen Wan
> name: krtu
> homeDirectory: /home/employees/krtu
> scriptPath: logon.bat
> sAMAccountName: krtu
> userPrincipalName: krtu at mydomain.com
> uidNumber: 3029
> gidNumber: 1027
> loginShell: /bin/false
> objectClass: user
> userAccountControl: 512
>
> You could probably shorten it further and it would still add your
> user. There is one attribute that you tried to add, that you cannot add:
>
> objectSid
>
> This value is set by the system when the account is created i.e. AD
> wants to create a new SID
>
> There are other attributes you shouldn't directly set yourself.
>
> If you want to add a user, I suggest you use ADUC or samba-tool etc.
> If you delete a user, as far as I am aware, you cannot recreate the
> exact same user, you can only create a new user with the same name.
>
> Rowland
It is good to know. Thanks Rowland and mathias for the explanation.
I thought ldbdel and ldbadd are the two commands to delete and add it back.
So I can keep objectSid as the same as the deleted one, and the user on
client machine can continue to use the profile, which is what I want.
The man page doesn't say you cannot add a record back.

In AD world, you cannot add a deleted user back to the system with the
same objectSid.

Thanks,
Allen