[Samba] AD: smb.conf of newly joined DC

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Feb 8 16:45:46 UTC 2016

On 08/02/16 15:21, mathias dufresne wrote:
> Thank you Rowland for your replies.
>
> Isn't it possible to forward during join time the content of the right
> smb.conf? This could make deployment easier which would help some of us...
>
> Just my two cents...

I have had a look at this, the code to add the required line to smb.conf
is part of the provision and on the first DC it is run. It is not run on
the join because to make it work, there would have to be an
'--use-rfc2307' option for the 'join' command, but you cannot do this
because it would also run the code to provision the fake ypserver.

Three options here:

Add the line to every smb.conf, not really a good idea if the ntvfs
backend is also used
Add the line to every smb.conf and make the s3fs backend the default,
this is only really possible if the ntvfs backend is also removed.
Add another option to the 'join' command, 'join-rfc2307' and alter the
provision code slightly to add the line if the option is supplied. This
is my preferred option at the moment.

Rowland