[Samba] Mounting a previously Windows (ntfs) file system

Graham S. Jarvis gsjarvis at advanz.lu
Fri Feb 5 23:37:29 UTC 2016

Hello,

sorry it's taken a while.....

I took your advise and put a new server in and mounted the old share.

Question: what to do about directory structures and names that are so long on
the old machine that on the new (FreeBSD) machine tar fails and at some point I
can't 'cd' into the directories any more.
Interestingly if I connect via VPN, over the line, from my Ubuntu laptop I can
use the file manager to go further down than 'cd' on FreeBSD in the mounted
directory structure. ???

My question is - what to do so that I can bring all the files from the mounted
smb file system onto the local FreeBSD file system.
If tar doesn't get deep enough I suppose rsync will fail as well (???)
- I don't have much experience with rsync.

Thanks!

--
advanz s.a.

BP 2277
L-1022 Luxembourg
G.D. de Luxembourg
T: (+352) 263 502-53
F: (+352) 263 502-55

---
Les informations contenues dans ce message et/ou ses annexes sont réservées
à l'attention et à l'utilisation de leur destinataire et peuvent être
confidentielles.
Si vous n'êtes pas destinataire de ce message, vous êtes informé que vous
l'avez reçu par erreur et que toute utilisation en est interdite.
Dans ce cas, vous êtes prié de le détruire et d'en informer l'émetteur.

The information in this message and/or attachments is intended solely for
the attention and use of the intended recipient and may be confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are hereby
notified that you have received it in error and that any use of it is prohibited.
In such a case, please delete this message and kindly notify the sender
accordingly.