[Samba] 10GE performance issues

Emmanuel Florac eflorac at intellique.com
Thu Feb 4 14:19:39 UTC 2016

Le Wed, 03 Feb 2016 21:27:06 +0100
Martin Markert <martinmarkert at mac.com> écrivait:

> Hi,
> we have network performance issues with Samba (Version
> 4.2.7-SerNet-RedHat-19.el6) on one of our servers. The maximum
> throughput from client to server is 110 MB/s (read/write) under
> Windows 7

110MB/s is suspiciously close to throughput you'd get with a 1 GigE
network. Are you sure your network is end to end 10G? I'll bet this is
not the case, and that some routing or VLAN misconfiguration force
your packets through some 1 Gig link.

First try accessing the Samba server from some other machine (Linux,
windows, whatever) on the same network switch. Modern Linux and Windows
should reach about the same performance with Samba 4.x as NFS.