[Samba] Mac OS X and ACL's

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Feb 2 22:35:08 UTC 2016

On 02/02/16 21:31, David Thompson wrote:
> I've reverted my test box fs back to winbindd and taken sssd out of
> the mix.
> I'd love some more help on this as its now faring better in testing
> than sssd with the macs, however I can set the users to be looked up
> but I'm having issues with having the names of the groups show up. It
> seems to be working however its now showing the GIDs as opposed to the
> group names.
>
> For instance
>
> digimag is now showing on the folder as 20008

Is this on the DC or the domain member ?
Are the groups in /etc/group or in AD, if in AD, does the group
'digimag' have a gidNumber attribute contain '20008' ?. If in both, I
would suggest removing from /etc/group
You could do worse than having a look here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_Samba_as_an_AD_Domain_Member

There is also a vfs module available for Macs, vfs_fruit, never used it
myself (no apple machines) and I am not sure which version of Samba it
first appeared in, but it is in the free version available from Sernet.
You might like to investigate this vfs module.

> but if I do a chgrp to something else and then change it back it
> digimag with chown -R digimag it shows up as the numberic association
> and not the actual group name.
>
> I don't think its looking up the groups properly. Where would I look
> for that. If I issue a wbinfo -g it returns all the groups properly as
> does a getent group

Provided everything is set up correctly, it should work, perhaps your
PAM isn't setup correctly.

Rowland