[Samba] AD DC as KVM guest on file server host?

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Thu Dec 29 14:04:11 UTC 2016

Hello,

Am 26.12.2016 um 15:57 schrieb Miguel Medalha via samba:
> I need to free the physical machine running one of the AD DCs
> for another purpose. I thought of creating a KVM Virtual
> Machine running that DC as a guest to the file server,
> which has more than enough hardware resources for that.
> In sum, the file server would keep running as it is,
> as a physical machine, with the additional role of serving
> as a host to a VM running the AD DC.
>
> Does anyone here see any problem or disadvantage with such
> a setup?

One problem I see is that the client relies on a VM that might not be up
when Samba on the client boots. If there are other services running on
the client, that use winbind for authentication or for building a list
of users, they might fail as well. Additionally the client uses the DCs
DNS, so services might fail during start up if the DNS is not up.

If you have only one physical machine, I would put both into a VM or at
least the client and run the DC native on the machine.

Regards,
Marc