[Samba] Fed 25: Samba suddenly refuses all XP connections, Win 7 OK

Aurélien Aptel aaptel at suse.com
Fri Dec 2 11:09:16 UTC 2016

Carl Whalley via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> writes:
> Could something else have changed which causes this, like some kind of
> password encryption which XP can't handle, etc? I'm pretty sure some
> update during my regular "DNF update" runs did it, only because thats
> about all I was doing in the run up to discovering this issue. Thanks.

Samba has client signing on by default since the badlock fixes. The
quick *insecure* fix is to stick this in your smb.conf (global)

  client ipc signing = auto

Depending on which samba version you have now you might want to try this
to:

  ntlm auth = yes

More info on:
- http://badlock.org
- https://www.samba.org/samba/security/CVE-2016-2115.html

--
Aurélien Aptel / SUSE Labs Samba Team
GPG: 1839 CB5F 9F5B FB9B AA97  8C99 03C8 A49B 521B D5D3