[Samba] Fed 25: Samba suddenly refuses all XP connections, Win 7 OK

Carl Whalley carl.whalley at otamate.com
Thu Dec 1 19:27:01 UTC 2016

I have several XP VM's and its also physically one on a on a multiboot
laptop. Just today, they all gave "unknown username or bad password" to
the main samba server which has been working fine for years. There is
nothing wrong with the accounts because Win 7 clients using the same
credentials are fine. On the LAN I also have Ubuntu servers and their
samba shares are OK from XP. It seems its just the specific combination
of XP client to Fedora samba which has this problem. I even downgraded
samba from the current 4.5.1 to 4.5.0 but it still shows this issue. The
Ubuntu version which is OK is 4.3.11

Also note when I browse the LAN from the broken XP clients in Explorer
the server name comes up, so XP does know it is there. When I click the
server name I'm asked to login, and can't as described. Normally these
are permanently mapped to drive letters so I never even see the prompt.

Could something else have changed which causes this, like some kind of
password encryption which XP can't handle, etc? I'm pretty sure some
update during my regular "DNF update" runs did it, only because thats
about all I was doing in the run up to discovering this issue. Thanks.