[Samba] Issue with acl_xattr:ignore system acls in 4.5rc2

Ralph Böhme slow at samba.org
Thu Aug 18 11:11:41 UTC 2016

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 12:59:15PM +0200, Michael Adam wrote:
> On 2016-08-18 at 12:40 +0200, Ralph Böhme wrote:
> > Hi Michael,
> >
> > On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 11:42:12AM +0200, Michael Adam wrote:
> > > From reading the original post, I get the impression
> > > that the problem is associated to the share root directory.
> >
> > nope. It will happen with just any directory or file created from a
> > non SMB client, eg mkdir|touch (or NFS, ...) on the server.
>
> Sure. But that is works-as-designed, imho.

I agree, but it did work that way and with 4.5 now
workinging-as-designed we will break existing setups.

> Creating should only be done via smb in this case.
> All else is invalid for this config and expected
> to disturb behavior.

Well yes, we even document it in the manpage:

  If you only access the data via Samba you might set this to yes to
  achieve better NT ACL compatibility.

> > It is also associated with files or directories created from Windows
> > client where the parent directory for some reason lacks inheritable
> > ACEs (because eg the admin relied on POSIX mode for some basic
> > permissions).
>
> Relying on posix mode is plain wrong usage when
> 'ignore system acls = yes'.

agreed, but it worked with previous versions, it will suddenly stop
working with 4.5.

> > > There is of cours a chicken-and-egg problem here.
> > >
> > > And my wild guess is that this could be fixed with setting
> > > a proper share acl. (use the sharesec command).
> > > Maybe we must also/alternatively put a different xattr-acl for
> > > the share root.
> >
> > Just adding inheritable (NT ACL xattr) ACEs to the share root
> > directory indeed fixes the problem for SMB clients, but not for stuff
> > created on the server.
>
> I can only repeat: Creating stuff with other means than SMB
> is invalid usage when 'inherit system acls = true', imho.

indeed.

So leave as is and add better documentation of this change to the
release notes?

Cheerio!
-slow