[Samba] Issue with acl_xattr:ignore system acls in 4.5rc2

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Thu Aug 18 10:59:15 UTC 2016

On 2016-08-18 at 12:40 +0200, Ralph Böhme wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 11:42:12AM +0200, Michael Adam wrote:
> > From reading the original post, I get the impression
> > that the problem is associated to the share root directory.
>
> nope. It will happen with just any directory or file created from a
> non SMB client, eg mkdir|touch (or NFS, ...) on the server.

Sure. But that is works-as-designed, imho.
Creating should only be done via smb in this case.
All else is invalid for this config and expected
to disturb behavior.

The base directory has to be created externally, though,
and in order to give initial access, there needs to
be an ACL (xattr/share) on the base dir.
Hence this is different.

> It is also associated with files or directories created from Windows
> client where the parent directory for some reason lacks inheritable
> ACEs (because eg the admin relied on POSIX mode for some basic
> permissions).

Relying on posix mode is plain wrong usage when
'ignore system acls = yes'.

> > There is of cours a chicken-and-egg problem here.
> >
> > And my wild guess is that this could be fixed with setting
> > a proper share acl. (use the sharesec command).
> > Maybe we must also/alternatively put a different xattr-acl for
> > the share root.
>
> Just adding inheritable (NT ACL xattr) ACEs to the share root
> directory indeed fixes the problem for SMB clients, but not for stuff
> created on the server.

I can only repeat: Creating stuff with other means than SMB
is invalid usage when 'inherit system acls = true', imho.

We may discuss a 'strict' and 'non-strict' mode to that.
In order to offer backwards compatibility to old broken
or at least inconsistent behavior?

Cheers - Michael