[Samba] Samba4 AD/DC and Virtual Machines?

Mark Foley mfoley at ohprs.org
Wed Aug 10 02:14:38 UTC 2016

Can Samba4 be used for AD/DC with virtual machines? For example, I have a Ubuntu domain member
and it currently does AD authentication for users.  I would like to run this computer as a VM
also hosting Windows 7, which I would also like the Windows 7 user(s) to AD authenticate.

One problem I foresee is joining the computer to the domain. I imagine there is only one IP
address. If I join the WIN7 VM, I expect I could not use the same computer name as the Ubuntu
hostname.

I see other issues with ports, etc.

Is this doable? Has anyone done this?

THX --Mark