[Samba] Samba with CTDB able to serve non-clustered data?

Alexandre alxgomz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 21:31:27 UTC 2016

Hi,

Le 11 août 2016 22:04, "Martin Schwenke via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org>
a écrit :

> Hi Steve,
>
> On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 14:46:53 -0400, Stephen Cousins via samba
> <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> > Thanks very much for the information.
> >
> > I guess the part:
> >
> > * Coherency of the file data you serve with Samba
> >
> >   You need to make sure that updates to the data that you are serving
> >   are seen coherently across the cluster.
> >
> > Is the tough one. Is there a way to do this that you know of when using
NFS?

> I don't have the NFS expertise to answer this.  Hopefully someone else
> will step in with an answer...

Although I wouldn't call myself an NFS expert, I already had to deal
similar setups.

NFS differs largely from distributed filesystem. It is a shared fs. Its
different nature makes consistency consideration less relevant than for
distributed filesystems.
Having said that, there are a couple of options you should set carefully.
Some on the NFS server, some others on the NFS client (here your samba
server).

- NFS Server options:
  > use synchronous exports (sync)

- NFS Clients options:
  > disable client cache when mounting the export (noac)
  > disable locks at Mount time (nolock)

Please note that the options above aim at providing reliable and consistent
data. They also have a performance impact and you should test how bad it
impacts your setup. This is a matter of trade-off.

Generally speaking, I wouldn't recommend re-sharing NFS exports. I always
had unexpected behaviors in this setup. Nfs not being posix compliant, be
prepared for some weird stuffs.

Regards.