[Samba] WindowsPE 10.0 -- Samba 4.4.5 connection problem

Steve Ankeny steve_a at cinergymetro.net
Mon Aug 8 19:44:32 UTC 2016

On 08/08/2016 02:58 PM, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Aug 2016 14:33:37 -0400
> Steve Ankeny <steve_a at cinergymetro.net> wrote:
>

>> Looking at a "System 58 error" with Windows 7 --
>>
>> https://serverfault.com/questions/69049/system-error-58-while-accessing-shares-on-windows-7-from-windows-xp
>>
>> I'm wondering if the problem lies in the "server max level = NT1"
>> issue we've seen before with Windows 10?
>>
>> In other words, the problem may lie in the PXE Windows PE 10.0
>> environment.
>>
>> It's making a request but not receiving the answer it requires to
>> make the connection.
>>

> I thought that something like that might be the problem, but I can
> connect from a win10 machine to a standalone Samba 4.4.5 server, which
> has these as the defaults:
>
> 	server max protocol = SMB3
> 	server min protocol = LANMAN1
>
> So, as Windows PE 10 is probably a subset of Windows 10, it should
> work. It is definitely worth trying, but if it doesn't work, then it
> could be a bug, but in Windows PE 10 not Samba.
>
> Rowland

What got me thinking along these lines was reviewing Windows PE & PXE

PXE uses common protocols such DHCP & TFTP as  to boot a "blank" machine
to a network share.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preboot_Execution_Environment

In essence, the client loads a network driver that finds a network share
through DHCP or TFTP, and from that share, it downloads whatever files
are necessary to "install" an operating system (Solaris used to do this)

Windows PE is a subset of the full Windows installation, so yes, it
essentially boots a slimmed down version that acts much like a command
line environment from which the entire operating system can install.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Preinstallation_Environment

It's a nice method of being able to install new clients with a prebuilt
environment to a new machine.

It's more-or-less hands-off while the installation takes place. We used
to do that with Windows NT 4.0

And, as I said, we used to do something similar installing a brand new
"blank" Sun machine (install from network)

I have a USB drive that "boots" Windows 7 PE  It allows me to install
new machines or to troubleshoot existing.  You use "net connect" to
connect to a network share and download whatever tools you need from there.