[Samba] WindowsPE 10.0 -- Samba 4.4.5 connection problem

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Aug 8 18:58:41 UTC 2016

On Mon, 8 Aug 2016 14:33:37 -0400
Steve Ankeny <steve_a at cinergymetro.net> wrote:

> Looking at a "System 58 error" with Windows 7 --
>
> https://serverfault.com/questions/69049/system-error-58-while-accessing-shares-on-windows-7-from-windows-xp
>
> I'm wondering if the problem lies in the "server max level = NT1"
> issue we've seen before with Windows 10?
>
> In other words, the problem may lie in the PXE Windows PE 10.0
> environment.
>
> It's making a request but not receiving the answer it requires to
> make the connection.

I thought that something like that might be the problem, but I can
connect from a win10 machine to a standalone Samba 4.4.5 server, which
has these as the defaults:

	server max protocol = SMB3
	server min protocol = LANMAN1

So, as Windows PE 10 is probably a subset of Windows 10, it should
work. It is definitely worth trying, but if it doesn't work, then it
could be a bug, but in Windows PE 10 not Samba.

Rowland