[Samba] Domain Trust

Jack jrsmith1279 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 21:32:38 UTC 2016

If I wanted to build a trust between a Samba 4 (4.6.0) domain, and a
Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 domain, what steps would I need to take?  I need
Windows to trust the Samba domain, so that Samba users can access Windows
resources.  I've built both domains in a lab and both are able to resolve
each other through DNS.  I was also able to join a Windows 7 machine to the
Samba domain and log in as a Samba user.  What I'm having trouble with is
figuring out how to create the trust because I'm not finding much
documentation on that.

I see that in version 4.3 (IIRC) samba-tool got new subcommands for
managing trusts, but when I try to add the trust using "samba-tool domain
trust create windows.local" I get an error saying "ERROR:
REMOTE_DC[WIN-DC.windows.local]: failed to connect lsa server -
ERROR(0xC000018C) - Trusted domain failure" after typing in the password
for the trust that I set when I set up the Windows side of the trust.  If I
type the wrong password it prompts me for the password again and if I type
it wrong 3 times then it gives me an error about logon failure, so that
sort of proves that it is at least talking to the Windows server.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!