[Samba] netbios and interfaces

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Thu Aug 4 07:05:05 UTC 2016

Some side notes on this one.

> WINS is to support looking up of netbios names to IP
Yes, but only if the hostname is 15 of less characters.

I normaly set this on one server.. ( !!!! ONLY ONE SERVER !!! )
and last time i check, do this on a member server, i lost track if
wins support works on an AD DC samba server.
( someone, correct if im wrong here. )

wins support = yes
dns proxy = yes  ( default yes )

Now wins will also lookup in dns, which i personaly like.
And is preffered also by MS.

> If a domain model,  a logon script usually maps drive letters to key
> shares.
Use Group policies. It saves you hassle with scripts, but thats a choice.
I dont have any script anymore for the domain login, only 1 vb script for importing certificates based on group memberships, but through GPO.

Good article to read.
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-netbios-name-resolution-really-works/

Greetz,

Louis