[Samba] poor samba performance with many smaller files

Sven Schwedas sven.schwedas at tao.at
Tue Apr 26 15:17:58 UTC 2016

On 2016-04-26 15:49, Peter Bulin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have problem with my samba. I have shared folder which contains many
> smaller files (few MB each), this files are stored on very fast disk array.
> Locally, from that machine I can read this files in parallel with speed
> about 500-1000 MB/s, but when I read them through samba, I get only 50-100
> MB/s on a 10 gigabit network. I tried to find the problem, so I analyzed
> strace logs and found out, that files are open synchronous and it takes
> about 15 ms to open one file, so most of the time is spend with openings of
> files. Now my question is if I can do somethings about that, is there some
> settings which turns on asynchronous open of files?

It's a whole family of settings, look at options starting with "aio" in
the man page (aio read size/aio write size/…). Going by the man page and
changelog, you'll want Samba 4.4 to not be limited to 10 AIO threads and
various other performance improvements; older versions IIRC don't really
manage to saturate 10G networking.

Sven Schwedas
Systemadministrator
TAO Beratungs- und Management GmbH | Lendplatz 45 | A - 8020 Graz
Mail/XMPP: sven.schwedas at tao.at | +43 (0)680 301 7167
http://software.tao.at