[Samba] Debian Wheezy member server from backports to self compile

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Apr 19 18:49:06 UTC 2016

On 19/04/16 19:25, lingpanda101 at gmail.com wrote:
> On 4/15/2016 2:30 PM, Rowland penny wrote:
>> On 15/04/16 18:54, lingpanda101 at gmail.com wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>>     I'm unable to update my Samba from 4.1.17 to 4.4.2. I'm looking
>>> to build from tar instead. From what I gather the following should
>>> be the steps taken.
>>>
>>> ./configure --without-ad-dc -- sbindir= /usr/sbin
>>> --sysconfdir=/etc/samba/ --/usr/share/man/
>>> make
>>> make install
>>>
>>> Am I missing something else? Thanks.
>>>

>> Quite probably :-)
>>
>> This is the config from debian/rules:
>>
>> --prefix=/usr --enable-fhs --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var
>> --with-privatedir=/var/lib/samba/private
>> --with-smbpasswd-file=/etc/samba/smbpasswd
>> --with-piddir=/var/run/samba
>> --with-pammodulesdir=/lib/$(DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH)/security --with-pam
>> --with-syslog --with-utmp --with-pam_smbpass --with-winbind
>> --with-shared-modules=idmap_rid,idmap_ad,idmap_adex,idmap_hash,idmap_ldap,idmap_tdb2,vfs_dfs_samba4,auth_samba4
>> --with-automount --with-ldap --with-ads --with-dnsupdate
>> --libdir=/usr/lib/$(DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH)
>> --with-modulesdir=/usr/lib/$(DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH)/samba
>> --datadir=/usr/share --with-lockdir=/var/run/samba
>> --with-statedir=/var/lib/samba --with-cachedir=/var/cache/samba
>> --disable-avahi --disable-rpath --disable-rpath-install
>> --bundled-libraries=NONE,pytevent,iniparser,roken,wind,hx509,asn1,heimbase,hcrypto,krb5,gssapi,heimntlm,hdb,kdc,com_err,compile_et,asn1_compile
>>
>> --builtin-libraries=replace,ccan,samba-cluster-support
>> --minimum-library-version="$(shell ./debian/autodeps.py
>> --minimum-library-version)" --with-cluster-support
>>
>> OK, it is from 4.3.5 and I am fairly sure 'pam_smbpass' doesn't exist
>> anymore, it will also build everything, including the AD DC, but I
>> hope you can see that your configure line just isn't enough.
>>
>> If you can wait a while, I think the plan is to get 4.4.2 trickled
>> down from experimental (it has got 4.4.1 at the moment, but that is
>> another one that says 'do not use' )
>>
>> Rowland
>>

> Rowland,
>
>  I unfortunately don't have a Sernet subscription so I see no update
> path for me outside building myself. Am I mistaken?

If you want to upgrade Samba using packages, then the Sernet packages
are the only real way at the moment, so the next best thing is build
Samba yourself. What you are doing wrong, is you are missing the fact
that you don't have to put the Samba files in the same place as the
distro packages on a domain member. Just compile Samba into
/usr/local/samba, copy your smb.conf to /usr/local/samba/etc, set PATH
so that the samba files will be used before any other distro files,
change the init scripts to start the Samba binaries in
/usr/local/samba/bin and start them.

> I was under the impression when I installed from backports, it used
> all the default ./configure options in Samba. All I would need to
> change is folder locations. Obviously I'm wrong. Maybe it's best in my
> situation to build another member server and transfer the shares? I
> can see where one inadvertent omission in my configure command would
> muck things up.

The configure options I posted were taken from the 'debian/rules' file
that is used when creating debs and lead to the Samba files being
scattered all over the filesystem, whilst just running './configure'
leads to them all ending up in /usr/local/samba. It is then just as easy
to upgrade as installing a distro package, by downloading a tarball,
then running ./configure, make, stopping Samba, make install, start Samba.

Rowland