[Samba] Howto test upgrades?

Klaus Hartnegg hartnegg at uni-freiburg.de
Tue Apr 19 14:39:33 UTC 2016

Hi,

maybe this thread should ask an even more general question:

How are AD-DC admins supposed to test upgrades? If there is more than
one AD-DC, an upgraded DC which causes problems cannot (must not) be
restored from backup. This is one of the reasons why I do not want to
switch to AD. A PDC *can* simply be restored from backup. It is even
enough to switch back to the previous contents of /usr/local/samba, a
matter of seconds.

Should we force all clients to use/test the upgraded DC by switching the
other DCs off, and in case of problems turn the new DC off, the others
back on, and then wipe the upgraded DC? Is it enough to wipe
/usr/local/bin, make install, rejoin, copy sysvol?

regards,
Klaus