[Samba] Upgrade 4.1.7 -> 4.4

Klaus Hartnegg hartnegg at uni-freiburg.de
Tue Apr 19 13:34:24 UTC 2016

Am 19.04.2016 um 10:40 schrieb henri transfert:
> I'm considering an upgrade to the last stable release 4.4.2.
>
> Since this server is in production with 400 users , 500 computers (XP, 7
> Pro, OSX) , NAS members (Synology) , and 15 printers, I can't take any
> risks about this upgrade.

> - Is there any data to backup before ? (I plan to backup the entire VM
> anyway)
>
> - From the client point of view, in case of 4.4 dysfunction is it possible
> to go back to 4.1.7 seamlessly by restarting the 4.1.7 VM (I'd like to
> avoid to rejoin 500 PCs ...) ?

Read on if you have one single DC, otherwise read only the last line.

I always compile Samba on a separate machine, erasing /usr/local/samba
before 'make install'.
Then I tar that directory, and copy the tgz-file to the real machine.
There /usr/local/samba is a link to the real samba directory, which
contains the version number, for example 'samba-4.3.6'.
I stop samba, then "cp -a samba-$old samba-$new; cd samba-$new; tar xf
../samba-$new-compiled.tgz"

Now I can "ln -fs samba-$new samba" and start the new one.
If anything goes wrong, simply stop samba, "ln -fs samba-$old samba",
and restart the old one.

However my samba is not AD yet, it is running as classic PDC.
I do not know where AD stores all its data.
If it is also all inside /usr/local/samba, then this should work there
as well.
EXCEPT IF THERE IS ALSO ANOTHER AD-DC. THEN YOU MUST NEVER EVER DO THIS!