[Samba] Cannot browse mode 0700 directories from Windows with security=ads

Ian Collier Ian.Collier at cs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Apr 19 12:19:50 UTC 2016

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 06:56:48PM +0100, Rowland penny wrote:
> >nslcd is running, in fact.  However, the AD server does not have uidNumber
> >and gidNumber attributes for the users in question.  Maybe this is part
> >of the problem?

> nslcd relies on uidNumber & gidNumber attributes, so if they don't exist, as
> far as Unix is concerned the user or group doesn't exist.

The LDAP server that nslcd consults is our Unix auth server, not the
Windows AD.  This does have uid and group numbers.

> >I'm confused as to how it is so nearly working at the moment, however.
> >There must be some translation going on between the Windows users who
> >log in and the Unix file permissions.  Indeed, "wbinfo -S" can give me
> >the Unix uid of a Windows user.

> Can you give us an example of one of these Unix uids

It goes like this...

 $ egrep jdoe /etc/passwd
 [no reply]
 $ getent passwd jdoe
 jdoe:*:10282:1013:John Doe:/users/jdoe:/bin/bash
 $ wbinfo -n jdoe
 S-1-5-21-1124797105-2089471174-1157203260-4073 SID_USER (1)
 $ wbinfo -s S-1-5-21-1124797105-2089471174-1157203260-4073
 DOM\jdoe 1
 $ wbinfo -S S-1-5-21-1124797105-2089471174-1157203260-4073
 10282

As an aside, jdoe can't actually log into the server because for logins
it's only set up with passwords in the local /etc/shadow file.  But jdoe
does obviously have a password in the Windows domain and Samba is allowing
jdoe to connect using his Windows AD credentials.  As far as the CentOS
server is concerned, the accounts (although they can't log in) exist and
can own files, etc.  All is working correctly on that side.

> >The problem we have is that Unix group permissions are not being respected.
> >I think that "force group = +groupname" goes most of the way to remedy
> >this, but it's a hack.  But again, why does that work if the Unix groups
> >are unknown to Samba?
>
> Problem might be that the GID the group is getting from somewhere isn't the
> one that is expected i.e. if the group exists in /etc/group and has the gid
> '1234' and the group in AD is being given '5678', then the group in AD isn't
> the same group as the one in /etc/group, even if they have the same name.

The group doesn't exist at all in AD.  All group information is coming
from the Unix LDAP server.  But still "force group =" works.  I understand
that without this, Samba is trying to use AD groups and ignoring the
Unix ones (although that's not what it did before we started Winbind),
and that's what the following is meant to solve...

> >Advice from elsewhere was to use "username map script = /bin/echo".
> >Could you explain what that actually does?  As noted in the beginning,
> >this does actually solve the group access problem but now forbids
> >people from accessing private files that they own.

> What this seems to do, is to use the groups in /etc/group rather than AD, I
> have never used it myself, so don't know if it is a good idea or not. I
> think your problem with user access is down to the same problem as the group
> one above, your users in AD are being given a different uid to the users in
> /etc/passwd

Odd then that it works for groups but not for the uid itself.
What the documentation seems to imply is that

 - this is equivalent to a map file containing "X = X" for all X
 - the map is used, after ADS has authenticated a user, to translate
   the AD username into the Unix username that should be used for this user.

That seems to be what we want, but it's not working for private files
owned by the user on a Windows client.  (It works fine if the client
is GNU/Linux using either smbclient or mount.cifs.)

> I know this doesn't really help with your problem, it worked before the
> update, but didn't after. Have you tried adding ' ldap server require strong
> auth =  no' to the global part of smb.conf ?, this seems to have worked for
> some people.

I can try that, but Samba isn't acting as a LDAP server here as far as I know.

Ian Collier.