[Samba] Cannot access Samba 4 via old Windows CE

Samba user Samba.99.spammy69 at spamgourmet.com
Sat Apr 16 03:02:12 UTC 2016

I have some old boxes called Auditron that use an ancient version of
Windows CE.  These clients worked fine on Fedora 19 with Samba 3.

I have now upgraded to Fedora 22 and Samba 4, and now these old boxes no
longer connect.

This is the config file I am using that was working fine:

# Global parameters
[global]
         netbios name = MEDIA
         server string = %v Samba on %h
         interfaces = 172.16.2.3/255.255.255.0
         bind interfaces only = Yes
         security = USER
         map to guest = Bad User
         private dir = /opt/samba-media/private
         passdb backend = tdbsam:/opt/samba-media/private/passdb.tdb
         lanman auth = Yes
         max log size = 100000
         write raw = No
         unix extensions = No
         deadtime = 1
         keepalive = 30
         load printers = No
         wins support = Yes
         lock directory = /opt/samba-media/var/locks
         state directory = /opt/samba-media/var/locks/state
         cache directory = /opt/samba-media/var/locks/cache
         pid directory = /opt/samba-media/var/locks
         ncalrpc dir = /opt/samba-media/ncalrpc
         winbindd socket directory = /opt/samba-media/var/winbindd
         winbindd privileged socket directory =
/opt/samba-media/var/winbindd_privileged
         idmap config * : backend = tdb
         use client driver = Yes
         case sensitive = No

[audio]
         comment = Audio
         path = /export/home2/media/audio
         force user = media
         force group = users
         group = users
         create mask = 0775
         force create mode = 0664
         force directory mode = 0664
         guest ok = Yes
         wide links = Yes

log file:
[2016/04/15 21:22:00.380811,  3]
../libcli/auth/ntlm_check.c:443(ntlm_password_check)
   ntlm_password_check: Lanman passwords NOT PERMITTED for user atron
[2016/04/15 21:22:00.380816,  4]
../libcli/auth/ntlm_check.c:480(ntlm_password_check)
   ntlm_password_check: Checking LMv2 password with domain
[2016/04/15 21:22:00.380828,  4]
../libcli/auth/ntlm_check.c:509(ntlm_password_check)
   ntlm_password_check: Checking LMv2 password with upper-cased version
of domain
[2016/04/15 21:22:00.380834,  4]
../libcli/auth/ntlm_check.c:537(ntlm_password_check)
   ntlm_password_check: Checking LMv2 password without a domain
[2016/04/15 21:22:00.380840,  4]
../libcli/auth/ntlm_check.c:568(ntlm_password_check)
   ntlm_password_check: Checking NT MD4 password in LM field
[2016/04/15 21:22:00.380861,  3]
../libcli/auth/ntlm_check.c:587(ntlm_password_check)
   ntlm_password_check: LM password, NT MD4 password in LM field and
LMv2 failed for user atron

Did Samba 4 drop all support for lanman authorization?

Googling the error messages, the supposed solution is to add lanman auth
= yes and restart, but I already have that.  The user is in the
smbpasswd file.

Thanks for any help