[Samba] samba dns

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Apr 6 21:13:36 UTC 2016

On 06/04/16 21:58, Sonic wrote:
> Would prefer to continue to use my NSD/Unbound installs for most DNS
> (if not all) services. NSD is the authoritative server for the domain,
> and Unbound is the cache/resolver that the clients connect to. I'd
> like to not disturb this setup but I'll need the SRV records so that
> AD works. If the SRV records are fixed I suppose I could host them
> using NSD, then Samba wouldn't have to be authoritative for any
> records - just forward to the Unbound cache. I don't need hosts
> registering themselves in DNS, the only hosts that need to be in DNS
> are those doing server duties and already have A records (the DHCP
> server relies on them for lease reservations).

Your DC needs to be authoritative for your AD domain, this is *not* a
Samba thing, it is an AD thing. What you can do, is to do what is
recommended, make your AD domain a subdomain of your domain i.e. if your
domain name is 'domain.tld', use 'internal.domain.tld' for your AD domain.

Your AD DC will then be authoritative for the AD domain and will then
forward anything it doesn't know to your unbound machine.

Rowland