[Samba] Questions About Bind_DLZ

Sketch smblist at rednsx.org
Tue Sep 29 19:10:46 UTC 2015

On Tue, 29 Sep 2015, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:

>> 29-Sep-2015 10:57:43.108 database: error: samba_dlz b9_format: unhandled
>> record type 0
>> 29-Sep-2015 10:57:43.109 database: error: samba_dlz b9_format: unhandled
>> record type 0
>>
>>     Only once mind you.  Should I be concerned?  The other DCs didn't
>> get this error.
>
> Günter answerd this a while ago:
> https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2014-January/178083.html

Offtopic, but any chance we could get SSHFP records added?

http://www.openssh.com/txt/rfc4255.txt

>>     Lastly, as we are a multi site set up, we currently run bind using
>> "Views".
>
> Sorry. Never used DNS views.

I have used views, but never with samba, so the following is just
speculation on my part.

I found an example here including non-samba DLZ inside view statements,
so it seems to be at least theoretically possible:

http://phaq.phunsites.net/2011/11/01/dns-zone-split-view-configuration-with-bind-dlz/

If you only want to serve AD DNS on an internal view and hide it from
external clients, I would imagine that this would work fine.  However, as
samba only provides a single DLZ zone, I don't know what would happen if
you put it into more than one view.  It might work fine and serve the same
data in multiple views, or it might blow up (especially if you have
multiple clients doing nsupdates from different views).  I would recommend
testing your use case in a lab setup to see if it works for you.