[Samba] Joining an 2008R2 a Samba AD Takes forever.

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Tue Sep 29 18:37:21 UTC 2015

Hello Cesar,

Am 28.09.2015 um 23:12 schrieb Cesar DiMartino:
> I have a problem with Samba 4.2.4 on FreeBSD. If I add another samba DC to
> de Domain it works without problems, but adding a Windows Server 2008 R2 DC
> is taking more than 10 hours, even days in the raeplication dialog. In fact
> it never finishes.

I'm currently working on documentation about a SYSVOL replication
workaround between Samba and Windows DCs. For that yesterday I joined
three times a 2008R2 DC to an existing Samba driven AD with two Samba
DCs. So I can at least say, that this works, as I wrote it down a while
ago here:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Joining_a_Windows_Server_2008_/_2008_R2_DC_to_a_Samba_AD

Can you check this guide carefully, if you maybe missed something?

Is there anything special in your AD? Maybe AD sites? What DNS are you
using? BIND9_DLZ or internal?

Does the Samba log says anything during the join?

Regards,
Marc