[Samba] Fwd: net rpc lookup from group names that start with "-"

Webfilter Dev webfilter.dev at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 00:15:59 UTC 2015

Hi,

So, I have been trying to find a way to be able to use "net rpc" to grab a
group/user where the name(windows 2000 name) itself starts with
dash/hyphen. When i try to list the group or find the user, i get prompted
informing me that the option is not valid, and then it gives me options of
how to get help on how to use it. The command i run is this:

# net rpc -U "administrator%<server password>" -S <my windows server IP>
group members "- dash group"

>From the looks of it, it seems that "net" cannot recognize any group or
username that begins with dash/hyphen. However, if the dash is not at the
beginning, then I am able to successfully lookup the group.

Can someone please help to tell me how to escape the "-" at the beginning
of a group/user name so that i can do a look up?

Thanks.