[Samba] Installation of Samba 4.3 on Ubuntu Server 15.04 failed

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 15:03:31 UTC 2015

On 25/09/15 15:32, Thomas Ziegler wrote:
> Thank you for the feedback. And yes, I looked into  '/usr/local“ but
> the samba folder was not created. Did I may missed some packages to
> install previously?
> I installed the following:
> sudo apt-get install acl attr autoconf bison build-essential \
>   debhelper dnsutils docbook-xml docbook-xsl flex gdb krb5-user \
>   libacl1-dev libaio-dev libattr1-dev libblkid-dev libbsd-dev \
>   libcap-dev libcups2-dev libgnutls28-dev libjson-perl \
>   libldap2-dev libncurses5-dev libpam0g-dev libparse-yapp-perl \
>   libpopt-dev libreadline-dev perl perl-modules pkg-config \
>   python-all-dev python-dev python-dnspython python-crypto \
>   xsltproc zlib1g-dev
>
> Do I have to create the smb.con file manually in the /etc/samba folder?

Those are the required packages to build samba4, you do of course need
to install 'build essentials' etc as well.

So, provided you downloaded the samba4 tarball, unpacked it and then
moved into the unpacked dir before running:

./configure && make && make install

You should have '/usr/local/samba'

If, as you say, you haven't got the samba dir, this would tend to say
something went wrong.

If '/usr/local/samba' doesn't exist, I would check that all the required
packages are installed, make sure I was in the unpacked samba directory
and then run the compile instructions one by one:

./configure

make

make install

Only run the next instruction if the last one completed successfully
(mind you, '&&' is supposed to do this), if you are running the
instructions as a normal user, you will probably have to run the last
one with sudo i.e. 'sudo make install'

You could also check if Apparmor is running, this may stop the samba dir
being created.

Rowland