[Samba] Installation of Samba 4.3 on Ubuntu Server 15.04 failed

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 13:32:34 UTC 2015

On 25/09/15 14:17, Thomas Ziegler wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I try to install Samba 4.3 binary on Ubuntu Server 15.04 (same for 14.04) without success - the 4.1.x version as ubuntu package all have problems with Windows 10.
> I did the following:
> 1. Install OS specific libraries for Ubuntu >=14.04 (according https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Operating_system_requirements/Dependencies_-_Libraries_and_programs <https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Operating_system_requirements/Dependencies_-_Libraries_and_programs>)
> 2. download & unpack samba-4.3.0.tar.gz
> 3. ./configure; make; make install in the /etc/samba repository

Have you tried looking in '/usr/local/samba' ?

 From how you say you built samba, that is where you should find it.

> Result: smb.conf file does not exists, neither in /etc/samba nor in /usr/locale was not created. The smb service can not be started as well.

Well it wouldn't exist, the compile doesn't create one, how could it,
how could it know what you are going to run samba as.
You will also need to create an init script to start samba in your
chosen role.

> Is there a detailed description out there how to compile and set up Samba 4.3 under Ubuntu Server 15.04 or even 14.04?

Yes, it is the samba wiki:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Main_Page

Rowland