[Samba] /etc/hosts and DHCP

Sketch smblist at rednsx.org
Fri Sep 25 14:38:00 UTC 2015

On Fri, 25 Sep 2015, Rowland Penny wrote:

> On 24/09/15 22:08, Ross Boylan wrote:
>> A possibly related issue is that the machine has 2 network interfaces, one
>> for a private network and one for the public one that participates in the
>> AD.  So there is not one right answer for the name -> IP resolution, though
>> possibly the fully qualified domain name that goes with active directory
>> could be reserved for the external IP.
>>
>> I'm going on the assumption that "AD Member Server" is what I want, because
>> I want to join the domain, use it for authentication, and server files.
>> Originally I thought "Member Server" meant I was publicly serving up
>> members of the domain; that is not my intention.
>
> The term 'member server' is a bit of a misnomer, it really should be 'a Linux
> client that serves files', any Linux client is basically set up in the same
> way, what you do with it after, is what defines its role.

A member server is just a machine which is joined to the domain.  If you
do a NET ADS JOIN on a linux workstation, that is a member "server".  If
you want this machine to act as an authentication server for other
machines on the domain, what you want is a domain controller.  If you just
want it to be a file server and to authenticate SMB users connecting to
file shares, a member server is just fine.

As far as the IP/name resolution issue, if you only need samba to run on
the public interface, you can add something like this to your smb.conf:

         bind interfaces only = yes
         interfaces = 192.168.1.1

interfaces = accepts either IP address or interface names.

However, if you want to participate in a domain on the public network, but
want to act as an authentication server, DNS server, fileserver for
clients on the private network, things are going to get much more
complicated.